I’ve finally finished my mosaic table. It’s not exactly what I was hoping for but I’m pretty happy with it. When creating a mosaic it’s good to not have too detailed an image of your finished product in mind as it will almost always end up different. Preplanning is good though. The one thing I wish I would have done different is to make sure the pieces I used from broken plates were flatter. I think the more uneven surface would work better on a frame or other piece that is not utilized like a table top or stepping stone. I love the checkerboard in the middle as that is what I had in mind for this table since I first got it about 10 years ago. It’s a nice sturdy farmhouse type of table and I’ve had it just sitting on my front porch all these years wanting to do something with it. I’m glad I finally did. Here’s the steps I took to get the finished product.
Step 1: I sanded this down as best I could. The old paint was peeling so I really wanted to get as smooth finish as I could and also durable, so I spent a lot if time on this step.
Step 2: I primed the entire table. I then painted all the areas that wouldn’t be covered by tiles.
Step 3: I got a new tile saw ( yay!) not completely necessary, but a real time saver and nice to have to make the pieces more uniform. I cut up 4×4 tiles into 2×2 squares to use for the checkerboard.
Step 4: I measured for the center of the table to layout the checkerboard and then used tile adhesive to attach the tiles.
Step 5: I then started breaking the plates and other pieces. I had enough dishes from the same set, but you could mix up the pices if you wanted to.these did not all sit flat so there was the challenge. I started by going around the outer edge to make a border and then filled in. I used a wheeled tile nipper to cut the pieces.
Step 6: After securing all the pieces with tile adhesive and letting them dry at least overnight, I applied ground to the entire piece, making sure I got it In all the crevices and then began wiping off the extra grout from the tops of the pieces.
Step 7: I added some 4×4 tiles to the bottom shelf and grouted them as well.
The end result sits on my front porch, waiting for a game of checkers to be played on a summer afternoon with a tall glass of ice cold lemonade.